Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Lent 2013 What to do, What to do?

I have to confess, sometimes I just don't have much to write about.  I know all writers go through dry spells and I'm no different.  But there are times when I need to write something but don't have any brilliant insights to share.  So, today, I'm not going to be brilliant.  (I know, how is that different from any other day?  Ha, ha.  Moving on...)  I'm just going to write and see what happens.

The Lenten season is upon us and, honestly, I've been fairly uninspired.  I really want to do something interesting or different but also something that is attainable.  I'm not giving up sweets this year because, frankly, I'm bored with it.  But I've found that I do need to make my Lenten observance something concrete and easy to account for.  It needs to be specific and it needs to be something that I can make a part of my daily routine.  Giving something up has always been easier for me than adding something in.  I can remember that I gave up desserts as I'm reaching for them but adding something to my schedule often gets forgotten in day to day life.  Perhaps I'm too much a creature of habit.  Perhaps I'm too forgetful and unfocused.  Either way this is all I have to work with.  So be it.

I guess I need to find a way to carve out time for whatever I add in to my Lenten practices.  After looking at my schedule, I've decided that I will be going to Eucharistic Adoration once a week as well as saying at least one Rosary per week.  I plan on using my Wednesday evening mom taxi duties to drive this.  (Pun intended!  Sorry.)

So starting today, I will spend time in Adoration after dropping my 4th grader off at Religious Education.  Then, I will say a Rosary while I walk the track at his basketball practice.  Basketball season is ending soon so I'll have to adjust my Rosary schedule.  But, for the next few weeks this should work.  And to give myself another nudge, I'm entering my adoration time and rosary time in my Outlook calendar with a reminder.  Between my schedule, my family and my calendar maybe I'll start a good habit of prayer.

If you're interested in a more ambitious Lenten observance than mine check out my friend Mrs. Mackerelsnapper and her Lent 2013 Challenge.  It's too much for me this year but I admire her zeal and her creativity in a finding a new way to relate to the poor.

Blessings,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment