Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The times they are a changin'

It seems that time speeds up as you get older.  When you're a kid, summer seems to last forever and your next birthday is even further away!  But when you start a family and your children start growing.  You realize how quickly it all goes by.

Time has been speeding by lately as I watched several of my nephews graduate either from high school or college while others of my nephews and nieces have gotten or will be getting married this year.  In fact, two of my own children will be going to new schools next year-one in high school and one in middle school.  It seems that the old adage is true,"The only constant is change."

Now, summer is here and I have this urge to squeeze every bit of enjoyment out of it that I can.  I know the number of summers that I have with my children are limited and that gives me a sense of urgency to embrace each day with them.  But, the reality is that there are still errands to run and chores to do and I am not a camp activities director.  Don't get me wrong.  I am a FUN mom.  We do science experiments and take field trips.  We are even in the process of making some wooden stilts for my 11 year-old.  But even a fun mom gets worn out trying to keep a household running and a family happy.  It seems that there is either too much time to fill or not enough time to get everything done!  I recently read a great quote, "The days are long but the years fly by."  How true that is!  Sometimes it seems that the summer days last forever when I can't get a moment to finish a thought (Especially when the sun doesn't go down till 9 pm!)  but, then I look up from my to do list and realize that my family is growing up while I wasn't looking!

So, here's my solution:  a Time Accelerator and Brake pedal!  Just like in your car, when you need time to speed up, press the accelerator.  When you want time to slow down, gently apply the brakes.  I realize I'm opening up a can of worms and all you sci-fi fans are going to start telling me about space/time disruption and all the mess I would cause.  But I promise I would use it responsibly.  Really, I would!  I might even let you borrow it if you're nice.  Just make sure you return on time or else. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment