Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Looking Back to Move Forward

I've been blogging here at Green 4 God for quite a while now.  My posts have veered away from "green" issues and onto other spiritual issues as well as more secular tips for conservation.  But, it's always nice to refocus on your purpose by revisiting the past.  For instance-"Why did I start writing Green 4 God?" 

The short answer might be--Because I had to. After all, when you have ideas rolling around in your head, sometimes you have to share them or you'll explode. 

The longer answer would be something along these lines-I began writing Green 4 God because I felt that there was very little conversation in spiritual circles that had to do with caring for the environment.  Even though the faithful have always been taught to care for Creation, at some point the environmental movement sped ahead and left the faithful behind. It was time to remind the faithful that caring for the environment isn't something we do that's separate from our faith but as an extension of it.

I still feel this way.  There are far too few spiritual conversations that include our responsibility to be stewards of Creation. Perhaps that word "responsibility" is the reason why. 

I don't know about you but I have plenty of responsibilities.  The idea of taking on another is not terribly appealing; especially if it has anything to do with work or guilt.  If someone starts a statement with "We should..." or, worse still, "You should..." not only do I get defensive, I close myself off from what they have to say pretty quickly.

So what I propose is a change of attitude and better word choice.  Let's think of caring for Creation not as something we have to do in addition to our other responsibilities but as something that we already do that we might be able to do a little better. 

After all, I know very few people that frivolously waste money, time, or energy without a second thought.  Most of the people I know have families and budgets and have to make the most of everything they're given. The same idea goes for conservation-Make the most of what we're given. 

Here in Texas, we've been in a drought for several years.  Water conservation is in most everyone's minds. Very few people around here are planting flora that need a lot of water.  It just doesn't make sense.

In the summer, it gets really hot here-we're talking 100+ degrees in July and August.  This is not the time of year to bake bread and have the oven on all day.  We don't leave lights on in the house in the heat of the day if we can do without them.  After all, we have a lot of daylight around here.  There's no need to add to it on most summer afternoons.  Of course, we close the blinds during the hottest part of the day too.  It does a little to keep the heat at bay.

So, the point is-most of us are already doing things to be good stewards. So, let me be the first to say, "Good job!  Keep up the good work!" And let me also be the one to say, "Hey, have you tried the new LED lightbulbs?  They're more expensive but they last a long time and give off almost no heat!"

Blessings,
Laura

Check out my new blog: www.suburbansainthood.com where I talk about all things spiritual including my own struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment