Wednesday, August 6, 2014

What We're Reading Wednesday (WWRW)



It's time I start linking up to some of these dynamic blogs that are sweeping the webisphere.  Since I'm doing a lot of reading these days, I thought I'd join in with the Jessica at www.housewifespice.com to talk about one of my favorite subjects-books!

And the FIRST book I've dug into since the Catholic Marketing Network Trade Show is......(drum roll please!).....Bleeder by John Desjarlais!

Here's the summary from the back of the book:
 
"When classics professor Reed Stubblefield is disabled in a school shooting, he retreats to a rural Illinois cabin to recover and to write a book on Aristotle in peace. Oddly, in the chill of early March, the campgrounds and motels of tiny River Falls are filled with the ill and infirm -- all seeking the healing touch of the town’s new parish priest, reputed to be a stigmatic. Skeptical about religion since his wife’s death from leukemia, Reed is nevertheless drawn into a friendship with the cleric, Rev. Ray Boudreau, an amiable Aquinas scholar with a fine library -- who collapses and bleeds to death on Good Friday in front of horrified parishioners. A miracle? Or bloody murder? Once Reed becomes the prime 'person of interest' in the mysterious death, he seeks the truth with the help of an attractive local reporter and Aristotle’s logic before he is arrested or killed -- because not everyone in town wants this mystery solved..."
 
Are you hooked?  I am!  This has been a really fun book to read.  The characters are believable and (most of them) likable as well.  Since a mystery is only as good as its ending AND I haven't finished reading it, I can't really rate this book YET.  But I'm anticipating some interesting twists and turns coming up in the plot which will make this good book even better. 
 
In summary:  I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good murder mystery.  And, if you're Catholic, you'll enjoy the characters and setting on an even deeper level.
 
Happy Reading!
 
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment