Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Still Green After All These Years


This December I will celebrate my 4th anniversary here at Green for God. (Time does fly.  I've actually seen it flying by my window at times.  Really.)  And even though my topics have diverged from my original focus (stewardship of creation), I still like to find new ways to be a good steward and share those ways with you.

So here's the latest green step we've taken as a family-We bought an electric lawn mower!!!!

My 11 year old mowing the lawn for the first time!
 
NoteIn true form of being a good steward of creation and of our treasure, we've been waiting for our previous mower to die for several years now.  My husband has patched and repaired, bolted and oiled but finally, it was time to say goodbye to "Ole Gassy".  (No.  I'm not referring to my husband.  We're talking about the gas mower here.  Focus people!)

So, we have ventured into the world of electric mowers.  To make it easy on you, dear readers, I will present my review of our electric mower in Pro/Con format.  You're welcome.

Pros-
  • No stinky gas smell in the garage and yard.
  • No emissions to contaminate the air.
  • Quieter motor means less noise pollution and irritation.  PLUS, I can actually converse a bit with my husband/son while they mow.  (Wait.  That may a "Con" for them....)
  • My husband says he doesn't feel as bad after mowing now.  He supposes that this is due to the fact that he not sucking mower fumes while he mows.
  • It's MUCH easier to start than an old-style mower.  Literally just the press of a button.
Cons-
  • The mower is much heavier than the gas version so it takes more muscle to mow the yard.  There is a self-propelled feature that helps a lot but it does drain the battery more quickly.  Of course, if you're looking for some exercise, this might just do the trick!
  • The cutting path is narrower than our old mower which means it takes more passes to cover the whole yard.
  • The battery does lose it's charge fairly quickly (see note above regarding the self-propelled feature) but our yard is fairly small so it works for us just fine.
Overall, we're very happy with the new mower and would buy it again if we needed to.  Only time will tell about the durability.  I'm sure I'll give you updates as time passes since that's kind of what I do...

Many (Green) Blessings,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment