Monday, February 4, 2013

Confessions of a Catholic Geek

I'm a Catholic Geek.  I admit it.  Anytime I hear the words "Catholic" or "Christian" my ears perk up.  It's like those old EF Hutton commercials-"When Catholics talk, Laura listens."  I'm a sucker for just about any book on theology, Christian spirituality, or prayer.  In fact, I'm so focused on faith these days that a non-Catholic friend of mine accused me of being a "closet evangelical!"

That gave me a good chuckle.  Then, I started thinking about her comment and, being who I am, I did an Internet search on the definition of evangelical.  This is what Bing had to say:

evangelical-adj.
1.  of Protestant churches emphasizing personal salvation: relating or belonging to any Protestant Christian church that emphasizes the authority of the Bible and salvation through the personal acceptance of Jesus Christ

2.  relating to Christian Gospels: relating to or based on the Gospels of the Christian Bible

3.  with strong beliefs: enthusiastic or zealous in support of a particular cause and very eager to make other people share its beliefs or ideals
 
According to these definitions, the only one that applies to me in the strictest sense is the third definition-"with strong beliefs"-check, "enthusiastic or very zealous in support of a particular cause"-check, and "very eager to make other people share its beliefs or ideals"-check.
 
[This is me getting on my soapbox.]
 
Here's my issue though, why aren't Catholics put in this category more often?  After all, I know a lot of Catholics who are on fire with their faith and are striving to share it with others.  Granted, evangelization in the common sense has not traditionally been considered a Catholic characteristic but I think that's an old school view of Catholicism.  Modern Catholics are Bible reading, praying, witnessing members of society with love for God and neighbor.  Granted, their enthusiasm might not match mine.  It may be less (or more!) but I find that enthusiasm for anything isn't as common as I think it should be.  But, that's another post.
 
So, I'm appealing to all Christians including my Catholic brothers and sisters.  Don't let the evangelicals hog all the enthusiasm.  There's a lot to get excited about in our faith and it's time we all start letting it show.  Start reading!  Start praying!  Start finding out why people like me are so excited!  Get out of your spiritual rut and feed your faith life!
 
[This is me getting off my soapbox.]
 
So, I guess I am evangelical, an evangelical Catholic, that is.
 
Blessings
Laura
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment