Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Thank You Note to God

Dear God,

After last week, I thought you deserved a proper thank you for all your intervention on my behalf.  You see, it wasn't much more than a week ago that I felt like I was hitting a brick wall with two of my three children.  (I've informed the third child that he's not allowed to have any issues until we can get the other two taken care of!)

After months of ongoing and nagging injury, my oldest son is finally starting making some progress toward healing.  Unfortunately for him it wasn't fast enough because he's now in a cast and on crutches but we know that this is the storm before the calm for him, so to speak.  And, we have faith that he'll be up and around on his own TWO feet in a short time.  Thank you for sending us to the right doctor and for motivating our son to be a good patient and follow doctor's orders.

As much as I appreciated your intervention with my son, what you did for me last week with my daughter was huge in my mind.  For weeks, she's been unhappy at school and complaining about going.  She's full of anxiety everyday about the demands of school even though she's doing well academically and has friends and activities that she enjoys.  I was at my wits end trying to help her and, I'm embarrassed to say, didn't come to you for help until a week ago.  I had reached the point where I was as knotted up as she was and I didn't know what to do.  It was at that point that I finally prayed for your guidance.  Of course, you know that I have prayed for your guidance before but this was different.  This time, I had no pretense of knowing what to pray for.  All I did was ask for help and a sign so that I would know what to do.  Several days later you prompted me to remember something that a doctor had told me recently; something I had let go in one ear and out the other.  Something that I wouldn't have remembered on my own.  Or, if I had, I wouldn't have given it much thought.  It was only some vitamin suggestions but after my prayers, I knew it was something I needed to consider.  Days later, my daughter seemed happier and more relaxed.  As the week wore on, she seemed to improve.  I realize that she's not over the hump.  She still has far to go to learn how to manage her stress in a healthy way but last week gave me the hope I needed not to give up trying to help her.  After a busy and tiring weekend, we seem to be back at square one but, now I have hope that she'll be better once she catches up on sleep.  Thank you for nudging me in the right direction.  Thank you for giving me hope that things will get better.  And thank you for giving me an emotional break last week so that I can tackle this week a little easier!

I know there are countless other things to thank you for but, if I were to name them all, this letter would go on forever.  But, I promise this won't be the last.  You deserve to get more than one thank you note.  So expect to see more from me.  Until then, we'll talk in my prayers.

Love,
Laura

PS.  I can't believe it, Lord.  I forgot to thank you for the beautiful hours-long theological/ philosophical discussion with my oldest son!  I could almost feel you patting me on the back and saying, "See, it's working.  Keep it up!"  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment