Monday, April 16, 2012

What I'm doing for Earth Day

What are YOU doing for Earth Day?  OK.  I know many of you are wondering, "Earth Day, is that coming up again?"  The answer is yes.  Earth Day is celebrated on April 22nd  which falls this year on a Sunday.  Perfect timing as far as I'm concerned.  A Sunday Earth Day is a great way to be reminded of the relationship between faith and the environment.  That's what I try to do all year round; hence the Green 4 God thing. 

But today's post falls less under the inspirational category and more under how-to.  After all, sometimes we have to stop talking and start doing.  That's why I want to tell you what I'm doing for Earth Day.  You many end up inspired after all....

Since I'm the environmental committee chairperson at our school, I've planned a week of activities for the students and staff. 
  • Today is Make-a-Difference Monday when we learn about how each of us can help take care of the earth.  The PTA is donating books about the environment to the school library as a way for them to make a difference. 
  • Tomorrow is Take-a-Breath Tuesday; a day all about improving air quality.  The students are encouraged to walk, bike, bus, or carpool to school tomorrow to reduce their carbon emissions.  In addition, the classrooms are getting plants to help keep the indoor air clean.
  • Waste-Free Wednesday is where we learn about reducing our waste by packing a waste-free lunch (think reusable containers and not Ziploc bags).
  • Thirsty Thursday is all about water quality and conservation.  The students learn habits that can reduce their water usage and get some ideas on how to keep their water clean.
  • Finally, Feathered Friend Friday is all about taking care of habitats for our feathered friends.  The students will fill bird feeders at the school and plant wildflower seeds to provide habitats for birds and butterflies.
When Earth Day comes on Sunday, I'm sure I'll spend time analyzing our household's behavior in an attempt to make some new changes.  But, mostly I'll spend time in prayer thanking God for his gift of Creation.

So, what are you doing for Earth Day?

Blessings,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment