Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Three for the "Holy Three"

I have three children.  They are each three years apart.  Starting this year they go to three different schools which means that my family has three different starting times and three different dismissal times.

I'm starting to get used to this new schedule but I have to confess that I've been throwing a pity party and inviting a few unsuspecting friends and acquaintances along the way.  Of course, when you start complaining about how busy your life is you are sure to find someone who is busier.  It's God's way of gently smacking you in the face and saying, "Be thankful!  You're busy because you are blessed with abundance!"  OK.  Maybe God doesn't talk like that, but I would certainly not fault Him if he did. 

So, as I was pondering my current scheduling challenges, I noticed the fact that the number three sure pops up a lot in my life these days.  Three is one of those important biblical numbers, right?  Do you remember why it's important?  Could it be the three persons of the Holy Trinity?  Yes, indeed it could. 

Once I was reminded of this significance, it gave me pause.  Right now, my life is a living post-it note with "Holy Trinity" on it.  All of those threes:  my children, their spacing, their schools and school schedules are an opportunity for prayer.  Each day when I drive to three schools, I can offer that up as a prayer to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and thank them for the three beautiful gifts He has given me.  I can say a prayer as I fold three piles of clothes, set three plates at the table or sign three report cards. 

Suddenly, I'm feeling less stressed about the new routine.  Of course, part of that is due to the fact that we've been on this schedule for the past four weeks but a lot of it is due to my change of perspective.  Now, I'll be looking for threes all around me and looking for ways to celebrate and honor them.  I needed a reminder of my blessings.  Unfortunately, I will need to be reminded again all too soon.  But, for now I have three opportunities to honor the "Holy Three". 

No comments:

Post a Comment