Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Not-so-Perfect Attendance

Well, it didn't take long for my family to lose our shot at the perfect attendance award!  We've already been attacked by a cold virus that is now making it's way through us one-by-one.   My daughter is the one who introduced it to our family but I don't blame her.  It's just another part of the Back-to-School reality.  Unbelievably, it was only a week into the school year when she turned up with a sore throat and congestion.  I couldn't believe how quickly the first virus of the school year hit.  Now, she's missed 2 1/2 days of school and we've only finished the second week! 

Luckily, perfect attendance has never been a parental goal of mine.  Don't get me wrong, I am a strong believer in the importance of good attendance but not perfect attendance. If parents let their children stay home from school for any little reason, it tells a lot about how much value they place on education.  Then again, I also believe that sometimes the best medicine is rest.  I don't keep my kids home from school unless they're sick, though they have played me a few times.  Now, the family rule is you have to have a temperature, vomiting, diarrhea, or be bleeding profusely to stay home.  You know the old saying, "Fool me once . . ."

Honestly, I've never been much of a germaphobe.  A few germs are good for you.  They help you build up your immune system, right?  After all, "God made dirt and dirt won't hurt."  But, if this first-out-of-the-gate virus is a sample of what we have ahead of us, I'm thinking about buying hand sanitizer in bulk!

Now, my daughter has to go back to school and play catch-up on all the assignments and lessons she missed while she was out.  Hopefully, she'll catch up quickly and the teachers will have some mercy on her.  Otherwise, I might start feeling sick myself.

Blessings and Good Health!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment