Thursday, September 29, 2011

Family Friendly Movies!

If you ever get frustrated with the state of Hollywood movies and media, take heart.  We seem to be entering a period of movies with positive messages.  In fact, there are several movies that are now in theaters or are debuting soon that fall under the category of inspirational stories.  I don't know about you, but when I go to the movies, I don't want to leave feeling more stressed and beaten down than I was when I walked in!  I want to be renewed by my precious R & R time and it seems that I'll have a lot to look forward to in the coming weeks.

Not only do we have Dolphin Tale, the true story of a dolphin who beat the odds and survived a tail amputation after receiving an unconventional prosthetic, which is already in the theaters, we also have Courageous opening this weekend.   Courageous is a story of four dedicated policemen who struggle with their vocation of fatherhood.  Drawing support from each other, they decide to recommit to their families.  The movie website promises plenty of action but, for me, that's peripheral.  I want to see what these men do when they decide to "up their fathering game."  

Next weekend The Way with Martin Sheen opens in select theaters.  The Way is a story of a grieving father and his effort to work through his mourning while traveling the Camino de Santiago, the Way of St. James.  It promises to be both a physical and spiritual journey for Sheen's character as well as those he is traveling with. 

Last but not least,  The Mighty Macs opens October 21st.  The Mighty Macs is based on the true story of  the Immaculata College women's basketball team of 1971, the first year a women's national collegiate champion was named.   Cathy Rush is the coach that works against seemingly insurmountable odds to form a team from a school that doesn't even have a gym to practice in.  Sounds like an underdog story if I ever heard one.  Gotta love an underdog!

Well, there you have it.  Four movies:  two true and two fictitious. Hopefully, you can find one that you like.  I hope you'll take the time to seek out these films and support them with your wallets.  After all, if we want family values presented in the media, we need to put our money where out mouths are.

See you at the movies!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment