Tuesday, May 3, 2011

In My Own Backyard

Every few months or so, I try to find a new way to be a deeper shade of "green".  Usually, it involves some behavior changing project.  Converting to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) was one project that was a success.  We were amazed that the amount of heat coming off the CFLs was barely noticeable compared to the sweltering heat of our old traditional bulbs.  Another project was learning to use a refillable water bottle instead of disposables. 

But not all of my green projects have been successes.  As I confessed last week, I'm still learning how to manage an organic landscape and my attempt at composting left me with a cornstalk growing out of my pile.  But, despite the fact that I have been less than successful in some of my attempts, I keep trying to find new ways to be a better steward of creation.

Lately, I've been trying to buy more products and services locally to both promote local small businesses and to reduce my carbon emissions.  So far, so good.  Currently, I have managed to get all my family's doctors within a 5 mile radius of our home.  It doesn't hurt that we live near a hospital but, hey, I still had to make some tough choices. 

Where to go from here?  Well first, I'm looking for a place to get my haircut that is closer to home.  Right now I have to get on the highway for a 15-20 minute drive to get my haircut.  I think it's time to bring it closer to home.  Second, I'm going to make an extra effort to patronize local retail establishments such as restaurants and shops.  It's definitely going to take an effort to remember to look there first when doing my shopping but I think I'll be glad.  Lastly, I'm going to start visiting the local farmers market for my produce.  I can just taste the fresh fruits and veggies!

Since my husband and I are what you might call "frugal" (or you might call us cheap!), this may be difficult for us.  In the end, we may end up doing some of our shopping locally and the rest at chain stores.  But, it's a start.  Even if I only do some of my shopping at locally owned shops, it's more than I've done in the past.  And like I've said before, change is hard.  But I think it's time to start supporting the businesses that are in my own backyard.

 I know I have a lot to learn so, help me out.  Tell me some of your successes (or failures if you're brave enough) in buying locally.  I want to hear from you.

Blessings,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment