Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Another year, another lie?

Last year I had a "significant" birthday.  You know, one of those milestone birthdays that you either dread or celebrate.  I chose to celebrate. . .with Margaritas.  I had a great party with lots of friends and family.  It was a wonderful way to celebrate my life.

Unlike some people, I usually don't fret about my age for several reasons. 
  1. My parents are in their eighties and are amazing.
  2. I can't do anything about it. 
  3. It's definitive proof that I'm alive! 
To me, that's all good news.

I know that not everyone relishes birthdays like I do.  Who knows, at some point I may change my mind but for now I'm good with it.  The interesting thing is that once I turned 40 my friends started asking me if I was going to start lying about my age.  My reply was, "Of course!  I'm going to start telling everyone I'm 50."

Now, stay with me on this.  You see, I figure that if I start telling people that I'm 21 they'll think I look TERRIBLE for my age.  Whereas, if I tell them I'm 50 and I'm really 40, they'll think I look GREAT for my age. 

I'm not saying that I am throwing in the towel in the fight against aging.  Oh no!  I have my skin care routine and my gym membership to help me fight the fight.  But, I'm also not foolish enough to think that I look like a twenty-one year-old either. 

Of course, my darling husband would say that I look better now than I did then.  The great thing is, he really means it!  Just add it to the list of reasons why I married him.  Not to be vain, but in a way, I agree with him.  I'm not suggesting that I haven't aged or that I look better physically.  No, it's more about the fact that I'm content and happy with my life.  I think happiness is the best anti-aging strategy that there is. 

My goal now is to stay happy and the rest will work itself out.  But, if that fails, I'll just tell everyone that I'm 90 and they'll be AMAZED!

No comments:

Post a Comment