Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The predictable resolutions post

You knew it was coming, didn't you?  Of course, I have to dedicate a post to the New Year and goals/resolutions.  In fact, I think there is some written or unwritten end-of-year rule for writers that requires at least one token "best of", "worst of" or "goals for the New Year" piece before the end of December.

Typically, I'm not one to make lots of resolutions.  I'm generally happy with my life and try to do my best with what I've been given.  Resolutions, to me, have an underlying attitude of brokeness to them.  "Something about me is wrong and I have to fix it."  I don't think that's the attitude to start the New Year with.

However, I do believe in goal-setting and this year I'm feeling ambitious.  They say that one of the ways to ensure that you meet your goals is to share them with others.  Well, Others, hold on to your hats!  Let the goal-setting begin!

  • I will write more, finish writing my book in 2011, and begin the publishing process.
  • I will use less and look for more ways to reduce my waste.  
  • I will pray more even if I feel that I'm not praying "right".
And finally,
  • I will appreciate more and enjoy all that God has given me especially Creation, my family and my wonderful husband. 

The new year can be a time of looking back, appreciating the present and anticipating the future.  It is a time of reflection, a time to measure progress and a time to start fresh.  Knowing all of this, remember that all the resolutions we make or the goals we set are not possible without the grace of God.  To quote Isaiah 26,

"Oh Lord, it is you who have accomplished all we have done."

Happy New Year!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment